September 2020: Dividends, kindergarten & more
Dividend Income & Portfolio Update
Personal Highlights – September 2020
- September brought a few milestones, both financially and personally. I officially have a daughter in kindergarten and a son in preschool!
- English Premier League soccer started up, so I’ve been waking up around 630 AM on Saturday and Sunday to watch some games. Arsenal (my team) is off to a decent start, and I’m doing pretty good in my fantasy pool as well so far!
- I had my 37th birthday in August, and in September my wife celebrated her 39th! We spent her birthday out at the cabin, and went to a new (to us) Thai restaurant in Gimli which was real good. The waitress even gave my wife a free refill of red wine (and she didn’t even know it was her bday)!
- My brother bought 160 acres of land a few years back which he and his lady have been slowly turning into a farm. I have been out a few times, but in September I took the kids and the wife out for their first visit. Although most of the garden(s) had already been harvested, we had a great time exploring and the kids loved playing on the bus. (They converted an old school bus into a temporary living space until they build a house on the land. It has solar power, a fireplace, a fridge, etc). It’s pretty cool.
A few pictures from our time at ELM ROCK FARM.
- Not much new on the cocktail/bourbon front. Typically there would have been a bourbon lottery by now, but due to the pandemic all special releases/events have been put on hold. On the plus side, that means I haven’t spent nearly as much on whiskey lately.
Financial Highlights for September 2020:
- In July & August I had made my first few stock purchases since early March. This included initiating positions in Manulife, Telus and European Residential Reit. I received my first dividend payment from Manulife & European Residential Reit in September, and I will be getting my first payment from Telus on October 1st. I’m not sure why, but I always especially enjoy that first dividend payment when you start a position in a new company. At current prices, I will be dripping 2 shares of Telus & Manulife each quarter, and 1 share of European Residential Reit each month.
- Added to my position in Artis Reit. I picked up an additional 165 shares, which brings my total share count to 807. At the current price I will now drip 4 shares a month.
- Continued Bi-Weekly contributions into TFSA & Spousal RRSP.
- I was paid dividends from 8 companies, and 1 funds this month. I dripped a total of 40 new shares/units.
Passive Income Update For September 2020.
Artis Reit: $28.76 (dripped 3 shares)
European Residential Reit: $7.83(dripped 1 share)
Diversified Royalty: $23.45 (dripped 13 new shares)
Canadian Western Bank: $0.29
Interrent Reit: $4.29
Intertape Polymer Group: $53.41
Manulife: $40.88 (dripped 2 shares)
Plaza Reit: $30.47 (dripped 8 shares)
TFSA’s Total: $160.62
Canadian Equity Income Distribution: $357.66(dripped 13.477 shares)
Total Passive Income September 2020: $518.28
My portfolio decreased by 1.03% in September to: $370,575.67 I know I say this every month, but I expect continued volatility as well as a bit of a crash around the election. That said, my plan hasn’t changed and I plan on holding if/when this does happen.
The only new purchase this month was adding to my position in Artis Reit, as well as my bi-weekly contribution into my US Equity Index Fund in my spousal RRSP. My plan is to continue adding cash to my TFSA bi-weekly and eventually add to my position in European Residential Reit.
Passive income in September was $518.28. This was actually lower than last September due to some dividend cuts, as well as some companies changing which months they pay their dividends.
Since January 1st, I’ve earned $8308.28 in passive income. Assuming no dividend cuts or increases, my current Forward 12 month dividend income is $12,022.27. My goal for the year was finish 2020 with a forward dividend income of $12,000 – so assuming no more cuts, mission accomplished!