July 2020 Dividend Report & Pizza
Dividend Income & Portfolio News
Personal Highlights – July 2020
- July started off pretty good. The kids are back at daycare, most weekends at the cabin, nice weather..and then everyone got sick. I forgot how quickly germs spread at daycare. It took a whopping 8 days before both kids got a cold, and in turn got both my wife and I sick. That said, the kids are super excited to be back and seeing their friends, and since we are both working from home now – we are probably even more excited 🙂
- Although we’ve been spending most weekends out at the lake, whenever we stay in the city instead we’ve been trying to do something new or different. So in July, a few things we did as a family; we had a picnic and ice cream at Assiniboine park, spent a day at the zoo and made home made pizza (pictured below is the kids creation)
- I put up a basketball net in my driveway and have been getting out once or twice a day for a few minutes to get some fresh air and shoot some hoops. I forgot how much fun basketball is, and it’s nice to get away from the laptop for awhile every now and then.
- Thanks to my father in law, I got a bicycle in the city now! Although I don’t plan on becoming a major cyclist, I am looking forward to some nice leisurely rides through the neighbourhood, and over to some friends houses for some backyard bourbon and beers without having to worry about driving home after.
Financial Highlights for July 2020:
- I’ve continued with my bi-weekly contributions into my TFSA, spousal RRSP & wifes TFSA. I noticed I had started to build up a decent amount of cash, and had started looking for a new stock or two to buy. In June I updated my watchlist. You can see that HERE
- I made my first two stock purchases since the covid pandemic started. I picked up 180 shares of Telus and 146 shares of Manulife. These two purchases will add an additional $374.12 in yearly tax free dividend income!
- July was my second consecutive month of over $1000 in passive income.
- I was paid dividends from 9 companies, and 1 funds this month. I dripped a total of 68 new shares/units.
Passive Income Update For July 2020.
Power Corp of Canada: $100.69 (dripped 4 shares)
Artis Reit: $28.49 (dripped 3 shares)
Diversified Royalty: $23.05 (dripped 12 new shares)
Interrent Reit: $4.29
Plaza Reit: $30.10 (dripped 8 shares)
Algonquin Power: $201.83 (dripped 12 shares)
TFSA’s Total: $388.45
Canadian Equity Income Distribution: $354.91(dripped 13 shares)
GoEasy Financial: $123.75
New Flyer Group: $58.01 (dripped 3 shares)
Transcontinental: $196.43 (dripped 13 shares)
Total Passive Income July 2020: $1121.55
My portfolio jumped a bit in July to: $354,977.52 This represents a increase of 3.33% from last month. I expect continued volatility in the market (and my portfolio) for the foreseeable future due to covid and the upcoming US presidential election.
My long term plan hasn’t changed. I haven’t sold a single stock, and I continue to look for good deals. I pulled the trigger on two stocks on my watchlist this month (Telus & Manulife). My plan is now to wait until the US election is over to make any other moves in the market. That said, I will continue to keep my eyes open for any stocks that meet my screening criteria and fall to an attractive price.
Passive income in July was $1121.55. This was only the second time in my investing history, that I’ve ever had back to back months over $1000 in dividend income. It was my fourth month in 2020 with over $1000! To put that in perspective, in all of 2019 I only cracked one thousand once!
Since January 1st, I’ve earned $7347.39 in passive income. The second half of the year unfortunately won’t be as strong, as there won’t be another big XAW distribution until January 2021.
Assuming no dividend cuts or increases, my current Forward 12 month dividend income is $11,763.01.