June Dividend Update: Summer Edition!
Dividend Income & Portfolio News
Personal Highlights – June 2020
- June 19 was our 10 year wedding Anniversary. Originally I had wanted to do a European trip to celebrate, however due to Covid, things were a lot more quiet and a lot less expensive. That said, thanks to the grandparents offering to take the kids to the lake for a couple days, we were still able to go out for dinner (first time in a restaurant in months), and have 2 nights alone with no kids. It was nice, we went to a nice steakhouse, I opened up a fancy bottle of bourbon I’ve been saving for a special occasion(pictured below) and most importantly we got to sleep in!
- We’ve been spending most weekends out at the lake, and it has been HOT. This last weekend was 32-34 degrees and we went for a lot of swims. The kids absolutely love going to the lake. So far, not selling the cabin seems to have been the right move. That said, next year I think I am definitely going to hire a company to come spray for mosquitoes and spiders…holy smokes they are bad this year.
- I’ve definitely gained some weight since the Covid pandemic. I had just gotten into a decent routine of running on the treadmill almost everyday, I was playing soccer again, and I had cut my beer intake down quite a bit. Once Covid hit, and the kids were home all day, it changed everything, and made things a lot more difficult. The good news is the kids are heading back to daycare tomorrow, so hopefully we can all get back into our routines right away.
- Normally on Canada day there is a big parade out at the cabin, and a bunch of fireworks, celebrations, etc. This year there was nothing. That said, the kids still had a great time, and we did our best to represent some Red & White.
Financial Highlights for June:
- Pre authorized bi-weekly contributions continued into both TFSA & Spousal RRSP. I may have to look at reducing the amounts now that we will be paying for daycare again.
- June was an expensive month. Cabin taxes were due, had to fix my eavestroughs, spent a decent chunk on our anniversary dinner, and pre paid for next 2 weeks of daycare.
- On the plus side, June was also the month XAW paid one of its semi annual distributions.
- I was paid dividends from 6 companies, and 2 funds this month. I dripped a total of 80 new shares/units.
Passive Income Update For June 2020.
Diversified Royalty: $22.85(dripped 12 shares)
Canadian Western Bank: $0.29
Artis Reit: $28.35 (dripped 3 shares)
Interrent Reit: $4.29
Plaza Reit: $29.91 (dripped 8 shares)
Intertape Polymer: $55.12
TFSA’s Total: $140.81
Canadian Equity Income Distribution: $353.49(dripped 13.748 shares)
XAW Distribution: $1172.13 (dripped 44 shares)
Total Passive Income June 2020: $1666.43
My portfolio was up slightly to: $343,539.41 This represents a increase of 2.69% from last month. I expect continued volatility in the market (and my portfolio) for the foreseeable future.
My long term plan hasn’t changed. I haven’t sold a single stock, and I continue to look for good deals. I’m sitting on a bit of cash, and I’ve updated my watchlist, which currently contains: Manulife, First National Bank, Alimentation Couche-Tard, Telus, Metro and Canadian Western Bank (among a few others). I haven’t pulled the trigger on any of these yet, because I still think things are going to get worse before they get better.
Passive income in June was $1666.43. June was my second highest month in 2020. So far in the first six months of the year I’ve earned $6225.84 in passive income. The second half of the year unfortunately shouldn’t be as strong, as there won’t be another big XAW distribution until January 2021.
Assuming no dividend cuts or increases, my current Forward 12 month dividend income is $11,405.96.