December Update: Dividends, Goals & Whiskey
Personal Highlights for December:
- December started off with a bang. On December 6th, I was laid off from my job of 16 years! You can read my full post on that HERE if you missed it.
- Christmas was fun, busy and a disaster. Both my wife and I were sick for basically the whole holiday. It probably sucked even more for her because she had to go to work, while my unemployed ass got to stay home and rest 🙂
- Over the last year, I’ve gotten a lot more interested in cocktails and spirits. I was lucky enough to try a bunch of new whiskeys and cocktails, and plan to do a year end review of some of my favourites soon! Here is a delicious clover club I made for my wife:
- I’m not much of a “goals” guy, however this year I want to do a lot more activities with the family, and buy less “stuff”. For Christmas this year, instead of buying a ton of different toys the kids will get sick of right away, I got the whole family a zoo membership which I am looking forward to getting a lot of use out of. Don’t worry, the kids still got SOME toys.
- Holland & Isaac on Christmas Morning….
- Financial Highlights for December:
- Continued bi-weekly deposits into Spousal RRSP, and TFSA however reduced the amounts until my employment situation is resolved.
- December was the first month of DRIPs of Diversified royalty since I added to my position, so now I’ll be dripping 5 shares a month instead of 2-3.
- I was paid dividends from 9 companies, and 2 funds in December. I dripped a total of 74 new shares/units.
- Dividend increases were announced for: Interrent Reit & Power Corp
- Received first ever dividend payment from CAE
- Even though my XAW distribution was announced, it doesn’t actually get deposited into my account until January 6th. This means my 2019 income won’t be as spectacular, but my 2020 income should get a nice boost to start the year! The distribution is expected to be: $1064.51
- Despite not putting as much fresh capital into the market in 2019 as most other years, my portfolio still grew over $80,000 this year!
Passive Income Update For December 2019.
Diversified Royalty: $16.83(dripped 5 shares)
Artis Reit: $27.72 (dripped 2 shares)
Interrent Reit: $4.29
Western Forest: $44.17 (Dripped 38 shares)
Power Corp: $87.48 (Dripped 2 shares)
Plaza Reit: $28.86 (dripped 6 shares)
Chorus Aviation: $11.76 (dripped 1 share)
Intertape Polymer Group: $53.40
TFSA’s Total: $274.51
Canadian Equity Income Distribution: $338.92 (dripped 10.9 new units)
RBC US Equity Index Fund: $238.98 (dripped 9.256 shares)
Total Passive Income December 2019: $879.25
My portfolio currently sits at: $370,579.38 This is an all time high, and represents an increase of 28.05% Year over Year. The best part about that, is this year is the least amount of fresh capital I’ve put into my account in over 5 years. The growth is a combination of compound interest and a stock market that just keeps reaching new highs. With the recent job loss, I won’t be putting as much fresh capital into my account this year either. Luckily, I’ve already built up a decent portfolio that continues to compound and grow on its own.
Yearly Portfolio Growth:
Total 2019 Dividend Income Received: $7479.19
In 2019 I received $1338.08 more in dividends than 2018. This represents an increase in income of 21.78%
Passive income since I started tracking in 2015:
My current forward dividend for 2020 is: $9802.99 however my goal is to break $12000 in dividends in 2020. This will be tough because I am currently unemployed…haha. That said, I am in the process of transferring $60,000 from a mutual fund that currently pays no distribution into my self directed account, and I can’t stay unemployed forever….or can I 🙂
Hope you all had a great new year. I am definitely looking forward to an awesome 2020!