Happy New Year! December update – New Dividend Record!
Monthly Dividend Update
I cannot believe it’s 2019 already. The entire month of December flew by – which explains why I haven’t posted anything in a full month. I almost stayed up to midnight on New Years eve…but fell just short (for the second year in a row). November was pretty slow in the dividend department, but luckily December finished the year nice and strong. Let’s get right down to the details!
Personal Highlights for December:
- The Christmas season is always hectic around our place. This year was no different. It started (unfortunately) on the 22nd, when our son was up all night with a flu. Luckily it only lasted about 8 hours, and he was fine for the holidays.
- Hosted my extended family on Christmas eve – about 30 people. Christmas day was spent at the mother in laws – and then Christmas dinner was at my father in laws. Boxing day we hosted my wife’s extended family (another 30 people). All in all, it was about a week straight of non stop events…This is why by the time New Years Eve came along I was in bed before midnight.
- We bought ourselves a treadmill – Amber has wanted one for quite some time. It was 70% off, and my wife’s work will give an additional $300 towards a fitness credit. So essentially we got a $3000 treadmill for just over $600. Although I bought this mostly for her, I plan on using it as well -especially now that I’ve cut my team sports back quite a bit.
- I got a few new bottles of bourbon for my collection over the holidays, which I am very excited to try. A few of the bottles I got were: Weller Antique, Four Roses Single Barrel, Jefferson Reserve & Four Roses Small Batch.
- On the topic of Alcohol, although I am not really one for resolutions, I did decide I want to try reduce my alcohol intake going forward – while increasing the quality of the drinks I have. I started out a day early, and on New Years eve, I only made myself one drink, but it was delicious. I made a Boulevardier. In it I used E.H Taylor Single Barrel Bourbon(which I got from a limited release last month), Carpano Antica Vermouth and Campari (equal parts).
Financial Highlights for December:
- Continued bi weekly payments into spousal RRSP (32.86 units of US Equity Index Fund)
- I was paid by 8 companies and 3 funds. I Dripped 94.612 new shares/units.
- Received annual distributions from a few funds – which helped boost overall dividend income to an all time high.
- Portfolio decreased substantially, and is not sitting at it’s lowest point since October 2017.
- This was the first month receiving the reduced Artis Dividend – which means I am now dripping 3 less shares each month:(
- Broke my all time dividend income record, and had my highest ever year in dividends!
Passive Income Update For December 2018.
Diversified Royalty: $9.57 (dripped 3 shares)
Western Forest: $34.92 (dripped 19 new shares)
Artis Reit: $26.64 (dripped 2 shares)
Interrent Reit: $2.49
Plaza Reit: $27.18 (dripped 6 shares)
Power Corp: $78.69 (dripped 3 new shares)
Chorus Aviation: $11.24 (dripped 2 shares)
Intertape Polymer Group: $51..37
TFSA’s Total: $242.10
Canadian Equity Income Distribution: $596.45 (dripped 22.387 new units)
XAW Ishares Distribution: $739.87 (dripped 31 new units)
US Equity Income Fund Distribution: $129.76 (6.225 new shares)
Total Passive Income December 2018: $1,578.42
My portfolio dropped 4.64%. This is the lowest it has been since October 2017.
My portfolio currently sits at $289,394.39
Dividends grew by $740.49 compared to last December. This represents an 88% increase.
My 2018 dividend total was: $6654.50. In 2017, my dividends were: $4650.16. This means I grew my dividends by over $2000 in 2018 – not too shabby. I also still have about 40% of my portfolio in funds that don’t pay any dividends/distributions.
*UPDATE* Just realised the RBC Canadian Equity Income fund actually paid the regular distribution AND the annual distribution – which means I got an extra $226.48 paid out on Dec 31. This brings my monthly dividends up to $1804.90!
Current Watch List:
Andrew Peller: ADW
Exco Technologies: XTC
InterRent Reit: IIP
Thanks for reading, and good luck in 2019!