October Update – Happy Halloween!
Monthly Dividend Update
My portfolio lost over $20,000 in the last month! I know Halloween is supposed to be scary…but come on! In all seriousness, i’m not worried about it – I’ve been expecting a correction for some time, and I’m hoping things stay low for a while, so that once I get my tax refund and if/when we sell the cabin in the spring I’ll have a nice chunk of capital to deploy!
Personal Highlights for October:
- Shoulder is doing a little bit better, started physiotherapy and even played my first 2 soccer games of the season!
- The kids are super excited for Halloween tonight, got their costumes ready and Holland has been practising yelling “TRICK OR TREAT” all week.
- Had a date night with the wife…went to a Jet’s game and dinner afterwards with a group of friends. Does that count as a date night? Oh well – it was fun
- Had a root canal done, which wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be – and even better, it was completely covered by insurance.
- Went to see the legend Norm Macdonald at Rumours Comedy club. It was great (of course).
- Picked up and carved 2 pumpkins. The kids enjoyed scooping the GOO out..that’s about it. Mommy did the rest.
- Amber’s work had a family fun day last weekend, so we took Holland on a 100+year old train for a ride out into the country, where there was a haunted house, and some other fun activities. I don’t think the haunted house scared her (she hugged one the ghost….)
Financial Highlights for October:
- Continued bi weekly payments into RRSPs & Spousal RSP.
- Not a huge dividend month, but did get a nice payout from one of my favourite stocks: Algonquin Power. I was able to DRIP 12 new shares, which brings my new share total to 900 even!
- Dripped 34 new shares/units. I was paid from 6 companies and 1 fund
- Sold my position in Alimentation Couche-Tard (ATD.B)
- Used proceeds from Couche-Tard sale to pay off all existing debt
- Used excess cash from sale to increase position in Western Forest (WEF)
Passive Income Update For October 2018.
Diversified Royalty: $9.46 (dripped 3 shares)
Artis Reit: $52.47 (dripped 4 shares)
Interrent Reit: $2.32
Plaza Reit: $26.90 (dripped 6 shares)
Algonquin Power: $147.59 (dripped 12 shares)
Chorus Aviation: $11.16 (dripped 1 share)
TFSA’s Total: $249.90
Canadian Equity Income Distribution: $222.62 (dripped 8 shares)
Total Passive Income October 2018: $472.52
My portfolio suffered it’s biggest ever 1 month drop. This is partly due to the market pulling back, and partly due to selling about $8,000 worth of Alimentation Couche Tard stock. The portfolio decreased by $22,807.64 compared to last month. This represents a drop of 7.15%.
My portfolio currently sits at $296,023.16. This is the lowest my portfolio has been since last October.
On the plus side, dividends grew by $37.35 compared to last October. This represents an 8% increase.
Current Watch List:
Andrew Peller: ADW
Exco Technologies: XTC
InterRent Reit: IIP
Thanks for reading, and good luck in November!