2017 Goals Update.
One of my first blog posts was about setting goals for 2017. I also noted that I typically do not set goals, so this would be something a little out of my element. I am happy to report so far I think I’m doing okay (with most of them).
Below are the goals I set – and a quick note of where I am at.
- Start setting goals! *NAILED IT*
The big test will be to see if I can achieve any/all of them and more importantly come January 1st If I continue to set goals for next year.
- Sell our house & buy a new house: *NAILED IT*
House sale has closed and we’ve been in our new place for about a month now! Most of our new furniture has been delivered, and so far we love everything about the new place. That said – we haven’t had to pay all the new bills yet.
- Start a website & keep it updated *GETTING THERE*
Website is up and running. Due to the house sale and moving – I wasn’t able to post as much as I would have liked for the last couple of months, but things are back on track now. October has been my highest traffic month so far, and the month is only half done.
- Spend more time at home/with family *GETTING THERE*
I’ve definitely been spending a lot more time at home – although I wish I could take more credit for this being a conscious decision. In reality it is likely due to the fact the Jets season has just started, my soccer season hasn’t started yet, we just moved, and I am still getting things organised around the house. The next couple of months will be the big challenge.
- Try 5 new restaurants (with Amber) *SLACKING*
This is the one area I am going to need to step up my game. Although we’ve gone out a few times, I believe we’ve only been to 1 restaurant that Amber hadn’t been to. I still have a couple of months – so I’ll have to get moving on this one if I want to achieve this goal.
- Get Amber “set up” Financially *NAILED IT*
So far we have done the following:
– Create a joint bank account
– Set Amber up with Direct Investing & a TFSA
– Start a Spousal RSP for Amber – and started bi-weekly contributions.
– Bought 3 new stocks in Ambers TFSA (ATD.B, CHR, & ITP).
The only area I still need to work on is getting her actually interested in some of this stuff….that will probably be the hardest part.
- Eliminate all debt (not including mortgage) *NAILED IT*
I just got back from the bank – and they confirmed my line of credit has officially been paid off/closed. My credit card is also completely paid off. My car is paid off, and my cabin is paid off. The only debt I currently have is my mortgage on my house (which I don’t really consider debt).
- Get total portfolio Value to $320,000 by December 31*WAY BEHIND*
With only 2 months to go – my portfolio is sitting at $278,000. I have pretty much come to terms with the fact I wont hit this target – however I think $300,000 might be doable. There are 3 main reasons I wont hit this goal:1) I paid off my debt very aggressively(Took some profits from my TFSA)
2) We spent a little bit more on the house than we thought
3) We underestimated the cost of furnishing a much larger house
All in all, I’m pretty satisfied with where I am at…just need to step it up and take the wife out a few more times and try and sock away a bit more $$$ before the end of the year!